The emotional abuser:
- Never apologizes because he is never at fault
- Uses sarcasm as a way to hurt you – esp when you try to stand up for yourself
- Attempts to isolate & control you
- Tells you how worthless you are – but only you; everyone else likes the abuser
- Gives you the silent treatment to ‘punish’ you; he will ‘stonewall’
- Passively aggressive
- Believes you are not valuable; nor are your opinions
Emotional abuse can be tricky because the abuser is often charming to everyone except his target. So, when the victim attempts to solicit help from friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc., sometimes it is met with disbelief. Yet…left untreated, emotional abuse can lead to Fibromyalgia, PTSD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Attacks, Chronic Pain, Migraines, Insomnia, Depression, etc.
~Lisa Schiro, M.S., LPC-5494
Calm mind. Calm body.